Explorers often passed through the Rochedale region but settlement did not begin until the 1860’s when farmers moved to the area due to the richness of the soil. Rochedale takes its name from one of these families, the Roche family, who migrated from Ireland to Australia in the 1860’s and settled in the region. In the early 1900’s market gardens were established in the area with tropical fruits and vegetables making up the majority of the crops. In the 1920’s these land holdings were broken down into smaller blocks, however they were still operating as farms.
Was the start of free settlement. At that time Rochedale was still a part of the area known as Eight Mile Plains.
The first local post office at Eight Mile Plains was opened with Mr Baker the postmaster. The same year a school was erected at Eight Mile Plains. Local William Roche was on the building committee for both.
William Roche passed away at the age of 64. His wife, Kate was left the land but could not sell it and had to pass it on to Thomas, their only child, at her death. The Gardiner family owned nearly half of Rochedale South.
The larger farm holdings were broken into smaller crop farms.
The Government purchased 4 acres for the Rochedale State School site from Mr Hughes for 80 pounds.
Three quarters of the population was under 35 years.
The census population of Rochedale was 1309.
Rochedale Town Centre approved for development with quality mixed use precinct of retail, commercial and recreational facilities.
Arise at Rochedale Sales & Information centre is officially open by Brisbane’s Lord Mayor Graham Quirk.